Calgary Home Schooling Resources
How to Organize Large Amounts of E-mail
One problem we hear about the Calgary-HS Yahoo group, and other Yahoo groups, is that there are too many e-mail messages. Here is a great way to organize your Calgary-HS e-mail messages, and your other e-mail messges, too. Once this is set up, it will save you lots of time, and it will be much easier for you to follow the discussions.
This example is for e-mail from Calgary-HS, but it will work with lots of other types of e-mail, too.
The Basic Idea
If you are using Outlook Express, you can organize
your e-mail by creating a "folder" for each different
type of e-mail. A "folder" is just an area for putting
things, like a box or a drawer. On my computer, I have one folder
called "Calgary-HS" for all my Calgary-HS e-mail. The
details of how to do this, are shown below.
Once you have a folder made, you just have to tell your e-mail program once, to put that type of e-mail in that folder, and then it does it automatically after that. Again, the details of how to do this, are shown below.
Then, after each time you check your e-mail, you just click on that folder, and it will show you all your Calgary-HS e-mail, without all your other e-mail.
To set this up there are 2 things you have to do:
1. Make a folder (called Calgary-HS).
2. Tell it to put your Calgary-HS e-mail into your new folder.
NOTE: These instructions are for Microsoft Outlook Express only. If you have a different e-mail program, it should be possible to do this, but the specific instructions will be different. If you can't see how to do it with a different program, call your computer technician.
There are a few steps to this, so if you have trouble following them, get a friend to help.
Making a Folder
1. When you are in the Outlook Express program, you should see a window that says "Folders" near to top, like this:
NOTE: IF you do NOT see the above folders window, click on View (near the top), Layout..., and Folder List.
Click with your RIGHT mouse button (NOT the one you normally use), on where it says "Local Folders" shown here:
It should give you a menu that looks like this:
2. Click on "New Folder..." in the picture above (with your normal mouse button). It should give you this:
3. Type "Calgary-HS" in (withOUT the quotes), so it looks like this:
and click on OK.
You should now have a new folder called Calgary-HS, that looks like this:
Telling It To Put Your E-mail in Your New Folder
1. Click on Tools near the top of your screen, to bring down the Tools menu like this:
2. On the Tools menu, move your mouse to Message Rules. It will give you another menu on the side, like this:
And click on Mail... shown here:
It should give you this, IF no one has ever done the above on your computer before:
NOTE: If you do NOT get the above dialog box, look for a button that says "New" in the upper right corner of the dialog box you did get, and click on the New button to get the above dialog box.
Now you have to tell it how to identify your Calgary-HS e-mail, and where to put it. If you read the above dialog box carefully, you should be able to do this, however, here are the details:
3. Click in this box to get a check mark there:
It should now look like this (notice how it is building the rule in English, in the lower window):
4. Now click on "contains specific words":
to get this up:
5. Type in "[calgary-hs]" withOUT the quotes, so it looks like this picture (note the "[" and the "]" - these keys are to the right of the "P" key on your keyboard):
6. Click on the Add button (in the upper right corner).
It should now look like this:
7. Click on the OK button. You should have gotton this:
Now we just have to tell it to where to "move" the e-mail to.
8. Click in the box beside "Move it to the specified folder" to get a check mark there, like this:
9. Click on "specified" as shown here:
10. You should now have this up. Click on the "+":
to get this:
11. Click on Calgary-HS shown above, and click on the OK button. It should give you this:
12. To finish it off, name your new rule. To do this, click beside "New Mail Rule #1" here:
and backspace out what is typed there, and type in "Calgary-HS Rule" so it looks like this:
13. Click on the OK button.
Checking Your Calgary-HS E-mail
After you have checked your e-mail in the usual way (so your new e-mail is in your Inbox), just click on the "Calgary-HS" folder to see your Calgary-HS e-mail:
If you have any questions about these instructions, please e-mail us through our Contact Us page.